Sunday, April 25, 2010

Everything Coming Together

Today was a pretty relaxing Sunday. I got about 8.5 hours of sleep, then woke up to go to Loch Raven and did a few hill repeats on to the Dam in the middle of my run. This makes for a pretty painful second half. I came home and decided to get a massage, because I was due for one and not only did the hills make me pretty sore but after attempting pull ups several times (with Mike's iron gym that I am convinced will break the molding on my doorway) my back/triceps are pretty sore. And by attempting, I mean I am able to do one full one, but then I can't get back up for a second. I will keep trying though because this is one of my goals - more upper body and core strength. The whole upper body thing leads me to a question I have been thinking about: just how does proper arm swing help running performance? I have watched elite and highly competitive runners and noticed one common thread: their upper body form is impecable - elbows swing far back, arms bent, etc. This is something I will mention later when I talk about the new book I am reading.

Anyway, so I went home and had my spinach and chicken salad (which I managed to eat, thanks to the cheese, cranberries, walnuts, and chicken in it), fell asleep on the couch, and got my massage which was good. I am sure every massage therapist that works with me thinks "WHAT on earth does this girl do to her body?" because I am so tight and have so many knots. Then after the massage came home to a good meal of chicken sandwich w/ hummus with rice and veggies.

I am beginning to think that the better nutrition is really helping my running and that everything is coming together. I recover faster after hard workouts, and I am able to hit faster paces during workouts with the same effort I used to expend hit slower paces. I also think come June I will be ready to try out some 5ks again in hopes for a new PR. I am reading a new book called ChiRunning (actually to update my PT cert, kinda cool) and it talks about avoiding "power running" where you strain your leg muscles to go faster, but to actually lean slightly forward, let your stride open behind you, and keep the same cadence as your stride will increase with speed. I want to work on this.

So last night Mike and I watched (well I watched, Mike passed out during) Public Enemies with Johnny Depp which was much better than the funny, but sort of stupid movie, Date Night, that we saw Friday. Then tonight is Army Wives which is sadly now my only show on TV that isn't back to repeats. I will have to wait til next season for Millionaire Matchmaker :(

No comments:

Post a Comment