Tuesday, April 20, 2010

8 x 1 Mile Repeats = Death

So as usual, my Tuesday morning workout was tough due to having taught Body Pump and Body Combat on Monday night, especially after the TOUGH new stuff I launched last night (hello upper back and arms)!

Hard (speed/tempo) workouts are generally on Tues and Thurs and I just came off of a crazy workout (3 x 3 mile repeats) Thursday to go straight into another one today (8 x 1 mile repeats) so that I can start to taper for my May 2nd half marathon. So I headed to the Franklin track today planning on doing the repeats around 10 mile race pace which means 6:40-6:50, with 1:30 min recovery jogs in between. Started with 1.5 mi warmup (and cool down) and drills then headed straight into this, first one was too fast and after the second one I realized I would need to increase the recovery to 2 minutes and 3 minutes after the 4th to do the second half strong. So the splits were, 6:32, 6:38,6:36, 6:39, 6:38, 6:43, 6:43, 6:37 - only 2 above 6:40 - all significantly faster than last time I did this workout and in warmer weather. Now if only I can keep that pace during races! Ha if only I had someone giving me my 400 splits.

I've been really good about refueling right after I run and managed to have a ton of veggies at lunch and dinner, which is always hard, so that's a plus. Then got stuck in awful traffic on the way to Towson meet which was no good, but the meet went well and the coaches were all really nice. The one even suggested he should have a blog with "excuse of the day (trying to get out of running)". So I think today mine will have to be Michelle G's "I just had 2 hot dogs and a sprite" haha. Anyway we have quite a few mile and 800 m runners on the verge of a breakthrough for some huge PRs.

So tomorrow will be easy run obviously - 8 miles on the trail. With the knee bursitis the trail is good to run on whenever possible. The knee was hurting significantly in the beginning on the track but then it loosened up. So we shall see how sore my legs are tomorrow since they felt pretty dead during the workout and pretty early on. Body Combat Launch #2 at Brick Bodies Reisterstown tomorrow! Should be a lot better now that I got all the kinks out yesterday at Owings Mills.

No comments:

Post a Comment