Thursday, May 13, 2010

If You're Going to San Franciscoooo

...be sure to run Bay to Breakers like I am on Sunday (or wear flowers in your hair)! Tomorrow morning I leave for San Francisco, where my mom has a work meeting conveniently the same weekend as Bay to Breakers, the huge, famous 12k race in which participants have ranged from elites like Deena Kastor to people wearing costumes and groups of "centipedes" who have to run linked together.

I have not really tapered much for this race, because it's not crucial (or at least not to me) to do really well here. First of all, it's SUPER hilly, plus it's a distance I've never done before so it's a PR no matter what, haha. Also, it's the end of my racing season so I'm not really in peak performance condition.

I am trying not to push too hard since my body is pretty worn out by the months of high mileage I've been doing, so mile repeats, long hard tempo intervals, and things of that sort are not really good to do right now. So, I did 10 miles today: 3 mile warmup, 4 miles that consisted of 15 x 1min 5k pace/1min easy, then 3 miles easy, which felt like I was trotting because I was so tired. I must have been going hard on the 5k pace, because my 4 miles ended up being 7:11,7:22,7:20,7:16. This meant that since the ratio was 1:1 of hard/easy, my hard was probably at 6 min/mile or less pace and my easy was probably at 8:30 min/mile or more pace. My heel was started to hurt a bit but I think it was just because I was probably extending my stride a lot and possibly heel striking. It's fine now though.

Bed time... have to be up early for airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment