Monday, May 31, 2010

Duel in the Sun

...that's what today's race felt like. I haven't written on here in over a week with traveling and honestly not very exciting training. Today, in Fort Myers, FL me and my sister's BF ran a Memorial Day race on a golf course. It was actually not very hilly (nothing long and steep at least) but it alternated between the cart path and the grass which was tough. Plus it was incredibly hot, as it is ALL the time down here. I came in second behind an amazing phenom, a freshman highschool girl who ran somewhere around 19 flat. I ran something like 20:16 which isn't bad, but could have gotten under 20 if my third mile didn't suck. Splits for mile 1 and 2 were 6:21 and 6:29, but didn't get the last mile which was probably 6:40 (ugh) considering .1 is usually around 45 seconds. All in all, it was a success: I kept good form, stayed positive, kept my stride rate high, but didn't kick as much as I needed to. That just goes with getting used to 5ks! If I keep up with the 5k training this summer I should be back down near my PR.

Looking to do a 10k in July, still choosing between a few. FL should be fun because I'll get to cross train a lot (biking, tennis) since my mileage isn't so high. Also I'm going to use the excuse that that highschool was acclimated to the heat since she lives down here.

One last thing: big props to FHS track's state meet qualifiers. At the state meet Josh get a new high jump PR for 5th place and Jon got 2nd for shot put. Ash R and Esanye had great efforts in their events and are only sophomores.

No comments:

Post a Comment